Before I get into predictions, an important message - If you haven't already voted for who you think I am, please do so now. Voting closes at 5:00 p.m. today!
Semi 1 - Humpty Dumpty's Anda-Bondas v/s Osama's Taliban
The Anda-Bondas go into this match on a high - they're the top-ranked team in the ACL. And they should feel good about it, even though it's actually because the Vindaloos lost their final game, and not because the Anda-Bondas did anything special.
I call the Anda-Bondas to win this one - Supari Gupta is a player for big occasions, and they don't get much bigger than this. KaaliZabaan will need to come good tomorrow as well. Betaal can also feel positive - this opposition did not complain to the umpires about his bowling.
The Taliban have been hugely inconsistent so far, so a lot will depend on which Taliban team shows up - the one that beat the Vindaloos, or the one that tied with the Crayditors. My prediction is that the latter team will show up. Shikari Shambhu is their big-game player, and can easily turn a game around on his day. Babbar Pasha will need to be at his best to keep Supari quiet. The other key element here is Osama - his team were awesome when we wasn't there to support them. He needs to learn from that.
Semi 2 - Big Vindaloos Vindaloos v/s Psychat's Merchants
I'm wary of predicting anything here, given my poor track record with the Merchants. I'm, however, going to go with a win for the Merchants. Yes, that's right, I call the lower-ranked team to win.
The Merchants will be lifted by the return of HeyRam - without him, they managed to give the Vindaloos a good fight. With him, they'll be confident of "crushing" the Vindaloos.
The Vindaloos have successfully thrown off the tag of favorites - I think they may even have deliberately thrown away the game against the Taliban because they were that worried about being seen as favorites. I think that's a problem. When your opponent is scared of you, that's half the battle won. No one is afraid of the Vindaloos any more. And what's more, bad attitude and sportsmanship is only tolerated from winners, not from losers.
On a side note, I heard an interesting take on the Vindaloos loss to the Taliban - that they were under pressure to maintain their 100% record, and choked!
Finals - Humpty Dumpty's Anda-Bondas v/s Psychat's Merchants
Once again, I'm wary of predicting any game where the Merchants are playing. However, I call the Anda-Bondas to win. They played the Merchants on day one of the contest, and won fairly comfortably. Like that game, I see this one turning into a HeyRam/Supari contest too, and this one could be decided by whoever plays better on the day.
The Anda-Bondas will have one big advantage - a 2-hour break after their first game. The Merchants, on the other hand, will end up playing 40 overs back-to-back.
Thursday, August 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment